DevOps is a fast-growing field that offers a range of job opportunities and career paths. As the demand for DevOps grows, the skills and expertise needed to succeed in the field are becoming increasingly important. This article aims to explore which DevOps skills will be in demand in 2023 and beyond.
To start off, it’s important to note that DevOps does not refer to a specific technology but rather to a set of practices and processes. DevOps is an ever-evolving discipline that requires knowledge of multiple different technologies and tools, so there is no single “one-size-fits-all” skill set. However, there are some core DevOps skills that are essential to success in the field.
- Cloud Computing: As companies move their systems to the cloud, expertise in cloud computing will be increasingly important. This means having an in-depth understanding of cloud platforms such as Amazon Web Services (AWS), Microsoft Azure, and Google Cloud Platform (GCP).
- Infrastructure Automation: Automation is becoming increasingly important in DevOps, and the ability to manage, configure, and deploy infrastructure using automation tools such as Ansible, Puppet, and Chef is a key skill.
- Monitoring and Logging: Monitoring and logging are essential in DevOps, and the ability to set up and maintain monitoring and logging systems such as ELK, Grafana, and Splunk will be increasingly in demand.
- CI/CD: Continuous Integration/Continuous Delivery (CI/CD) is a key part of DevOps, and the ability to design, implement, and maintain CI/CD pipelines is a highly sought-after skill.
- Containerization: Container technologies such as Docker and Kubernetes are becoming increasingly popular and are essential to DevOps success. Knowing how to create and maintain Docker images, containers, and Kubernetes clusters is an important skill.
- Programming: While DevOps is not a programming language, knowledge of programming languages such as Java, Python, and Go is important for DevOps engineers.
- Security: Security is a key part of DevOps, and the ability to secure applications and infrastructure is an important skill. This includes knowledge of encryption, authentication, and access control.
Looking for experienced DevOps engineers to augment your team?
Talk to our experts today to discuss your staff augmentation needs and learn how they can help you achieve your goals.
Five Great DevOps Job Opportunities
- DevOps Engineer: DevOps Engineers are responsible for designing, implementing, and maintaining efficient DevOps systems. Average salary is approximately $117,000.
- Cloud Engineer: Cloud Engineers are responsible for deploying and managing cloud services, such as Amazon Web Services, Google Cloud Platform, and Microsoft Azure. Average salary is approximately $125,000.
- System Administrator: System Administrators are responsible for ensuring smooth and secure operation of IT systems. Average salary is approximately $80,000.
- DevOps Architect: DevOps Architects are responsible for designing and implementing systems to automate processes. Average salary is approximately $150,000.
- Security Engineer: Security Engineers are responsible for protecting the security of IT systems. Average salary is approximately $93,000.
In conclusion, the DevOps industry is constantly evolving, and staying up to date with the most in-demand skills is essential for professionals in the field. In 2023, the following skills are expected to be in high demand: containerization and orchestration, cloud infrastructure, automation, security, and monitoring/observability. By focusing on these areas and staying current with industry developments, professionals can position themselves for success in the competitive DevOps job market.
Looking for experienced DevOps engineers to augment your team?. Contact us today to discuss your staff augmentation needs and learn how our team of highly skilled DevOps engineers can help you achieve your goals.